IPL…IPL Laser Treatments…also called Intense Pulsed Light Treatments…
Lighten, smooth, enhance and rejuvenate the skin “all over the body”. The results are nothing short of remarkable. You can have more Beautiful Skin…contact us to schedule your IPL skin treatment Today!
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is technically not a real Laser. IPL, unlike Laser, uses white light composed of many frequencies (colors of light) compared to Lasers that use only 1 wavelength (color) of light. IPL with multiple light wavelengths has the ability to effectively treat multiple problems within the skin. Your skin can appear more youthful, radiant and bright. IPL rejuvenates skin, all over the body, by painlessly using white light to penetrate into the skin’s dermis.
The IPL’s light, once within the dermis, uses different wavelengths of IPL light that are absorbed by elements (target) within the skin. One of the IPL’s wavelengths will be absorbed by age-spot pigment, another wavelength by the broken capillaries (actually IPL hits the pigment within the red blood cells within the capillary) and yet another wavelength, of the IPL, will be absorbed by the fibroblasts. Fibroblasts are responsible for making new Collagen within the skin. The above mentioned changes within the skin created by IPL Treatments effectively rejuvenate skin all over the body…for brighter, more beautiful skin.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light Treatments) have the following indications:
- Reduction in Erythema or redness of the face, neck or chest including the medical condition called “Rosacea”. A 75%, or higher, reduction can be seen after 5 treatments with the benefits continuing up to 12 months after the treatments. Additional maintenance treatments can extend this period.
- Flushing (sporadic redness) of the face, neck and chest. IPL remains one of the only effective treatments for this condition that causes embarrassment to many individuals. Flushing occurs with stress or alcohol consumption and can be dramatically reduced 75%, or more, after 5 treatments.
- Rosacea is a medical condition characterized by a low-grade skin inflammation. The redness may be controlled with medication such as topical or oral antibiotics. IPL reduces the inflammation in the skin and may eliminate the need for medication.
- Photoaging or Sun Damage is skin that has fine wrinkles, freckling, irregular pigmentation, coarse or rough appearance, large pores and a dull texture. IPL has been shown to visibly reduce these skin characteristics creating skin that is brighter and more youthful in appearance.
- Pigmentation Problems (Brown Age-Spots, Melasma or Pregnancy-Mask) are characterized by uneven brown skin pigmentation. Other signs of sun-damage may also be present. IPL treatments can significantly reduce this uneven pigmentation, especially when combined with our specific skin-care products.
- Acne Scarring may be visibly improved with IPL treatments that induce Collagen formation in the dermis.
- Post-Surgical Scars can be lightened with IPL treatments that specifically target vessels in the forming scar tissue.
- Stretch Marks that are red or purple in color can be faded using IPL.
Advantages of IPL over Other Existing Treatments and Procedures
IPL has the following advantages over other skin rejuvenating modalities including Laser Skin Resurfacing, Dermabrasion, and Chemical Peeling:
- IPL/RF are the only effective treatments for redness or flushing of the face, neck and chest. Other modalities have not proven as effective or risk skin damage and potential scarring.
- Substantial visible improvement with no down-time. No bruising, no crusting, no weeping skin means clients can return to work or activities in as little as 30 minutes.
- IPL treatments, with the proper training, are quick, safe with little risk or scarring unlike other skin rejuvenation modalities.
- IPL treatments are performed as an office treatment using a topical anesthetic gel.
- IPL treatments can be performed safely on non-facial skin of the neck, chest, hands, back, arms, abdomen and legs….areas where it’s unsafe and unwise to use harsh chemicals and some Lasers.
Before and After IPL Skin Treatments*
The skin on the hands is one of the most challenging areas to rejuvenate. Often, the hands suffer from advanced aging and sun damage. However, the skin does not heal well if harsh chemical peels or laser treatments are used in an effort to reverse the damage and rejuvenate the skin. IPL has made skin rejuvenation in this area much easier. IPL Laser Treatments (Intense Pulsed Light Treatments) must be done as a series of treatments in order to obtain maximum benefits. These photos represent 5 treatments, although Dr. will tailor your individual IPL treatment plan as results may vary.
This series of IPL Treatments was performed for the broken capillaries on the face. As mentioned earlier, IPL or Intense Pulsed Light treats multiple skin conditions because the IPL contains white light of multiple frequencies. That means that while the IPL was treating the broken capillaries, the Intense Pulsed Light was also decreasing the age-spots and building new Collagen to rejuvenate the skin. This type of result may be achieved after 4-8 treatments however, it is important to completely understand how broken capillaries occur and how the IPL may help decrease their appearance.
Broken or prominent capillaries represent smaller vessels that are fed by larger vessels deep within the skin. This is important to understand because while the IPL can treat the small capillaries, IPL does not treat or remove the deeper feeder vessels. This means that the capillaries can and will most likely sprout up again after the IPL treatments have been performed. As in the case of Rosacea, an inflammatory skin condition, IPL treatments are typically done in a series until the desired effect, on the skin, is achieved. Then IPL treatments are performed on a maintenance basis every several months. In this way, the benefits of the IPL are maintained.
Here’s an example of rather severe sun-damaged skin and what the IPL has to offer in the way of skin rejuvenation. Dr. Francis Palmer advocates a common sense IPL treatment plan where there is no downtime after your Intense Pulsed Light Treatments. Dr. Palmer recognizes that we live in a world of instant gratification. However, IPL is an extremely powerful machine that is capable of delivery a tremendous amount of energy and heat to the skin. The IPL can create burns if used at to high of an energy level and the proper energy output, of your Intense Pulsed Light Treatments, needs to be determined by someone with experience doing IPL treatments like Dr. Francis Palmer and our highly trained staff. Our philosophy at the Beverly Hills International Center of Aesthetic Surgery is that IPL Treatments should be done at a proper power setting determined before each and every visit for optimum safety, comfort and results. Contact us today to schedule your IPL Skin Treatment!