You are still active and feel great. But, the effects of time, sun, wind and toxins in our air have taken their toll on the appearance of your skin. It’s not as smooth as it was when you were younger, and not only is the texture rougher, but brown “sun” spots and reddish blotches have become more numerous and harder to conceal.
Few things are as beautiful as soft, smooth, healthy skin. Unfortunately, time, heredity and gravity play a daily role in creating fine lines and wrinkles, especially noticeable around the mouth and eyes. Moreover, prolonged sun exposure and smoking are known to significantly accelerate the development of these natural signs of aging.
Wouldn’t it be great if your friends and family could see you the way you feel inside? What if you could reverse the visible signs of aging, or years of Malaysia sunshine?
In the past your options were limited to harsh chemical peels, dermabrasion, destructive laser peels or the use of temporary fillers.
Today we have a treatment unlike anything that has gone before… Fractional CO2 Laser Skin Resurfacing.
Our CO2 laser skin resurfacing device, using the partially ablative method, removes a fraction of the epidermis and deeper dermis, while the surrounding skin remains un-injured, a technique that produces incredible results with a remarkably short recovery period.
What is laser skin resurfacing?
The CO2 laser remains the superior tool for aesthetic skin resurfacing, ( a procedure designed to remove superficial wrinkles around the eyes, lips, forehead and cheeks), so apparent in aging skin. Patients with facial acne scars, enlarged pores, or sun-damaged skin with uneven pigmentation also make excellent candidates for this treatment.
Choosing laser skin surgery
At the time of your consultation, it is important to mention any history of viral infections, sensitivity to the sun, or prior skin treatments such as skin peels, dermabrasion or Accutane treatments, occurring within the past six months. You should also describe to Dr. Sherman the level of improvement you are hoping to achieve. Then, mindful of your expectations, he will review your medical history, and closely examine your skin type and pigmentation to determine if you are a potential candidate. Afterwards, you and the doctor can discuss your options, evaluate desired results, and decide on your best treatment protocol.
What kind of results can I expect?
Fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes and mouth, brown spots and red blotches will be removed, and deeper frown lines and grooves will be greatly softened. Large pores are reduced in size, and your overall skin texture and appearance will be firmer and tighter. Once the outer layer of skin has been partially removed, the new skin underneath presents a softer, smoother, more youthful appearance. The message from our many happy patients is that less than an hour with the fractional laser can erase up to ten years from your face.
What makes fractional CO2 laser resurfacing the gold standard?
Fractional CO2 skin resurfacing is the only treatment that provides excellent results with minimal down time. “Fractional” means that only a percentage of the skin is affected by the laser. The untouched skin surrounding the laser microbeam contact stimulates rapid, painless healing with no lasting redness. When using the laser, Doctor has precise control over the natural exfoliation process as he gently vaporizes the outer layer of aging, sun-damaged or acne-scarred skin to reveal the smooth, fresh skin underneath. Lines are removed in a precise, rapid, bloodless fashion, achieving excellent results. Laser skin resurfacing can be performed with only local anesthesia and can be tailored to treat any area of the body, including the face, chest, arms, and back of the hands.
Benefits of fractional CO2 laser resurfacing over chemical peels, dermabrasion and other, non-fractional laser treatments,
The fractional laser:
- Has no significant potential for scarring, bleeding or bruising.
- Usually requires only one session with a shorter recovery time than other treatments.
- Provides a level of control that is difficult or impossible to achieve with other treatments.
- Enables Dr. Sherman to visually judge the effect of the treatment as it is performed and immediately readjust the intensity at any time throughout the procedure.
- Proven to be more consistent, more predictable, and safer than any other modality.
What is treatment like?
After the area to be treated is thoroughly cleansed, a topical anesthetic ointment is applied and left on for 45 minutes after which a nerve block is administered. The fractional hand piece is then precisely and quickly passed over the contours of your skin, (throughout the procedure, cold air is continuously passed over the surface of the skin to eliminate any minor discomfort). Actual treatment time can vary between 20-45 minutes depending upon the surface area treated. Rarely is there a need for a second treatment.
In the first few days following the procedure, your skin will have a “weepy consistency”, while new collagen is forming to rebuild the skin from the bottom up. Some minimal crusting may develop as the new skin surface is formed. You will be supplied with a carefully selected trio of skin care products to keep the treated areas moist. No bandages are required. Within 4 to 5 days your skin, although smooth and beautiful, may still retain a mild reddish appearance, (similar to a sunburn), which will fade within a week or two. These visible traces of redness can be easily concealed with a little foundation and will completely disappear. Some patients have experienced temporary swelling in the tissues surrounding the eyes. Those with darker skin types may run the risk of some pigmentation disturbances. You can expect to be comfortable returning to normal activity within 4-5 days.
Although initial results show a marked improvement, the full effect of your treatment is not apparent until a few months after your procedure. These dramatic results can be expected to last for many years, and can be maximized by following our recommendations: avoid sun exposure and be consistent in your application of the newer skin care products, designed to protect and stimulate your skin and help it to maintain a vital, youthful appearance.
(Although there is rarely a need, touch ups can be performed in 4-6 months. While the benefits of laser resurfacing are permanent, as with any cosmetic procedure, the dramatic effect can be expected to lessen over time. However, the gentle nature of laser skin resurfacing affords the patient the option of additional treatments with further improvement in years to come.)
Over the past 30 years lasers have evolved significantly in order to improve the skin’s appearance. The goal of laser facial skin rejuvenation is to improve the appearance of the skin by reducing wrinkles, improving the skin’s color/tone/texture (reversing sun damage and sun spots), and tightening the skin. The fractional CO2 laser is the latest technology to help improve the appearance of your skin.
Here are 4 reasons why the fractional CO2 laser technology makes sense:
1) Time Tested Technology- The CO2 laser is the gold standard laser for skin resurfacing and rejuvenation. It has been around for over 20 years and is proven to work well. Fractional CO2 technology uses this same type laser that is time tested.
2) Decreased Downtime- The fractionated CO2 laser has significantly less down time then the traditional CO2 laser. Whereas the traditional CO2 laser resurfaced 100% of the skin to which it was applied, this created a long (2 week) healing time and produced significant and long-term redness (up to 3 months). On the other hand the “fractionated” in fractional laser means that only a fraction of the skin is treated. Since bridges of healthy skin are left in between the treated areas, the downtime is significantly less, with the peeling portion complete in around 5 days.
3) Less Side Effects- The most hated side effect of the traditional CO2 laser is a long-term lightening/whitening of the skin that it produced by damage to the pigment producing cells of the skin (melanocytes). This was an effect of treating 100% of the skin. Since fractional technology only treats a fraction of the skin surface, permanent lightening of the skin (hypopigmentation) is not a risk.
4) It can be used on most skin types- Many lasers cannot be used in darker skinned individuals. The fractional laser can be safely used, by an experienced physician, in most skin types.It is important to note that not all of these lasers are equal in technology. It is important to go to a physician who has experience with the fractional laser technology and can advise you appropriately.